March 29, 2011

The Pick-Up Trophy

My husband is a genius. 

Our almost four year old despises picking up his toys.  I mean, I understand no one likes to clean, but this has become a problem.  Lots of tears, lots of punishments, lots of tripping on cars and Transformers.

After a particularly unpleasant afternoon, Jon came up with the idea to award 'The Pick-Up Trophy' to whoever picks up the most toys. 

I had my doubts as to how this would play out, but I had seriously underestimated my son's competitive nature.  Apparently he will do pretty much anything for a trophy and bragging rights over his sister. 

All I have to say is, "Who wants to win the pick up trophy?" and he actually comes running, scouring the room for toys to pick up.  (Sorry to be blatantly sexist, but he is SUCH a guy.)  I am constantly debating the whole nature vs. nurture thing with the kids and this is definitely a point for nature. 

The actual trophy is some military award that Jon won for marching the fastest or something (I can't imagine where Luke gets his competitiveness), but you could use whatever you have in your house.  The rule is whoever wins the pick up trophy gets to display it in their room until it is time to pick up again when the contest starts over.   

Brilliant idea, hubs.  Thank you. 
Luke proudly displaying his trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment